Need Management Accounts?
For prompt, efficient service…
Vehicle logbooks come in many shapes:
- There’s an App. Visit the Google Play or App Store to find a vehicle logbook app.
- Vehicle Tracking Companies. Your provider might have this functionality available to you as part of your vehicle tracking service.
- Stand-alone USB & OBD port GPS Loggers. Google USB/OBD logbook.
- Excel spreadsheet.
- Pen & paper.
An electronic vehicle logbook records even when “Life Happens” and is worth the investment. Don’t get caught short at the end of the tax year!
- The claimant can not claim fuel costs if he/she has not borne the total cost of fuel used in the vehicle.
- The claimant can not claim maintenance cost if he/she has not paid the total cost of maintaining the vehicle (e.g. if a maintenance plan covers the vehicle’s maintenance).
- If the claimant used more than one vehicle during the year, the claimant should keep a separate logbook for each vehicle.
- SARS uses both the actual distance travelled during a tax year, and the distance travelled for business purposes (substantiated by a logbook) to determine the allowed costs claimed against a travel allowance.